Friday 13 January 2012

Trash Free Periods

The first week into my project of reducing the rubbish that my family sends to landfill, to only one wheelie bin full for the entire year, is going reasonably well.  Not having any handy bins in the house is a definite big plus in terms of getting us to reuse and recycle more.

My first major challenge on the no-bathroom-bin-front came today with the start of my monthlies.  Sorry, the topic may be off-putting for some, it isn't really a favourite subject of mine either!  But all women go through it, so I shouldn't be embarrassing really.  Anyway, I have been thinking about swapping to washable pads for a long time, but it has taken me until today to pluck up the courage to use them.  What a revelation, they are fab!  Much more comfortable then ordinary sanitary towels and dead easy to use too.  Why haven't I been doing this for years? 

I have four pads, one to wear, one to wash, one to dry and one spare.  Simple as!  I am giving them a hand wash with soap in the sink as I go, then drying them out on the towel rail.  I will give them all a good wash through in the machine at the end of the week.  It is easier for me as I am home based, but if I am out and about, I won't be bothered about using a small plastic drawstring bag to store any changes in until I can get home. 

As well as saving on landfill, it is also saving my pocket, as I usually spend around £2.00 per month on sanitary supplies.  You can buy washable pads for around £10.00 for a set, which will last you years.  Although, get this, I made my own nifty set with spare oil-cloth, (that I had left over from a tabletop project), as the leak-proof backing, along with spare cotton material and wadding.  This is probably going way too far for most people, so just Google Washable Sanitary Towels, for a good selection to buy.

With a £24.00 saving per year, every year, I am very happy with my trash free period.

No comments:

Post a Comment